About a hour north of Auckland is the beautiful town of Matakana, which has an amazing farmer’s market every weekend! If you are somewhere in the area or are planning a trip to New Zealand, I can highly recommend to check it out! Despite the delicious food, I was happily surprised to find some natural skincare items as well, which I obviously had to try out!
How cool is the name of this company? I love that they grow their delicious macadamia nuts locally but I love even more that they made some amazing skin care from it!
About the company
‘Nuts About New Zealand’ is a family owned business producing premium quality macadamia nuts. These macadamia nuts are grown on our orchard situated in the rolling green hills of the Kaipara region of New Zealand’s North Island. Our Macadamia nut trees are planted in rich well drained soils in this unique micro-climate sheltered from the cold southerly winds. All our Macadamia nuts are hand picked at the peak of perfection and then prepared and packaged on site to preserve every ounce of flavour and freshness. In addition to our Macadamia nut flavours we offer a delicious New Zealand Macadamia nut oil and butter.
I love using oils in my daily skin- and hair care so I was super excited to try out this 100% Macadamia oil. It feels very rich and nourishing! I have been using it at night to massage into my skin after I have cleansed my face as well as in the ends of my hair both on wet and dry hair! My hair tends to be a bit fussy when it comes to using oils – sometimes it just absorbs the oil and makes my hair nice and smooth and sometimes it just gets greasy. But the Macadamia oil has been working great every time and takes away all the frizziness, leaving my hair nice and soft!
If you have been afraid to use oils on your face – definitely give it a go! I have got quite a mixed skin and am very prone to breakouts but oils work great on me! A lot better than most moisturisers actually! So even if you have oily skin don’t shy away from them! Also, if you pick up a 100% nut oil like this one, it is probably the most natural thing you can put on your skin – I am all about minimalistic, easy and multipurpose skin care!
Benefits of using natural oils (especially for acne-prone or oily skin)
- oils contain anti-infammatory, anti-bacterial and soothing compounds
- packed with vitamins, amino acids and anti-oxidants to heal, protect and hydrate your skin
- contain essential fatty acids your skin needs to stay properly hydrated, but your body can’t produce them on its own
- oils also act as the skin’s lipid barrier, protecting against extreme temperatures, dry climates, and over-cleansing
- The oil your skin produces is much different than the pure plant oils in a facial product. Your skin starts pumping out sebum when its oil content isn’t balanced. So if you strip your skin’s natural oils by over-cleansing, your body will actually produce more oil to compensate. But a quality face oil will replenish your skin with the essential fatty acids and moisture it needs. When balance is restored those overactive sebaceous glands take a breather, leaving skin healthier and clearer
If there is one thing you need to know about me than it is my addiction to natural lip balms. Although I was blissfully unaware of how many lip balms I own, before I started this blog, I have now simply accepted that it is REALLY hard for me to walk past a nice lip balm! 😉 I do use all of them up though (and get quite upset when that happens), plus what is the harm in having at least one lip balm in every single pocket/ handbag/ drawer?
Anyway, lip balm made from Macadamia nuts? Don’t tell me you wouldn’t have picked that up as well! The scent is surprisingly neutral and the texture is ahhhh-mazing! So creamy and soft! You can almost feel the richness of the macadamia oil packed into this – my lips have been loving it!